Sunday, April 10, 2011

Day 10 and I'm Struggling

Today was the final day of the 75th Masters golf tournament.

Some people, and I used to be one of them, find golf uninspiring--plain boring.  Other people, me included now, find golf amazing.  The skill, the tenacity, the mental discipline that a player must have, in order to make it to the top, well it's just unbelievable.  Certainly, that kind of discipline is beyond me at this time in my life, but it's also one of the reasons I gave myself this poem-a-day challenge.

How am I doing?  I am struggling to balance the rest of my life with the discipline of writing one poem every day, but I do find inspiration in the golfers who made it to the leader board in today's Masters game.  There was Tiger Wood who was failing yesterday.  When the game was over, this guy went back to practice his putting!  Today his discipline showed.  He finished fourth in a very close game.  There was Rory McIlroy--just a kid--who led this entire tournament for three days!  Three days!!!  Today, he did poorly from the beginning, but the kid didn't quit, and when he was interviewed he spoke with wisdom and maturity.  WTG, Rory!  Then there was this guy from South Africa, Charle Schwartzel, who was barely noticed in the first three days and he wins!  He wins with a 14 under par, which is quite amazing.

So, I look at these golfers and say to myself, keep writing.  I am writing.  Maybe by the last week of April I'll be 14 poems ahead.  Let's see.

No comments: