Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Poetry Reading at Domestic Abuse Shelter

Courtesy of Alice Shapiro, www.aliceshapiro.com

It was too early. So my sister and I sat down on a concrete stoop outside the gray, 4-story building catching a few late-day rays and watching remnant rush-hour traffic. It was small-town peaceful. We exchanged small talk in hushed tones — I suppose to not disturb this idyllic scene, but it was certainly polar opposite to what was coming next. My first poetry reading for domestic abuse survivors at a local shelter was about to begin.

I had been briefed before the reading with a stack of documents describing the signs of domestic abuse. It was chilling. At 6:30 PM we went inside. Now I was staring at 10 beautiful faces, wondering what I could possibly say that would make any difference. Of course I was there to give back to my community, but also I wanted to gain speaking experience in front of an audience. Since I signed a confidentiality agreement, I cannot divulge what was discussed at the reading, something akin to faux doctor-client privilege. But I knew the ladies were energized, perhaps encouraged, because they laughed at a poem I read and asked for a copy. It was called “Crime” about a childhood shoplifting experience.

Although it is early in my reading career, I have come away from this first experience with a joy and a satisfaction that poetry is both worthy and powerful.
----------------------------------------------------------

www.sharehousedouglas.org This is a link to the center's website, if you'd care to visit and learn more about their efforts to assist domestic abuse survivors.

No comments: