Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Mary Oliver's Newest Book--Poetry That Speaks To My Heart

FROM "Red Bird Explains Himself" by Mary Oliver
"...and I am both of the earth and I am of the inexplicable
beauty of heaven
where I fly so easily, so welcome, yes,
and this is why I have been sent, to teach this to your heart.”


Mary Oliver is a favourite poet of mine. She speaks of the beauty of nature, of love, of connections to things and people and of the fears and hopes of all mankind (humankind, womankind...take your pick).

I was first introduced to her work by a close friend, through the poem "The Journey". This was instantly one of my favourite poems--love at first sound. The problem for me was that this was my first, and as firsts seem to do, it set the standard for the rest of her work. Until Mary's newest book, "Red Bird", I had not found another poem to live up to the emotions and pull of the first of her poems that I'd fallen in love with.

Now I have a book filled with poems that meet the standard of my first Mary Oliver poem. I hope that you will seek out this new book and I trust that the poems will be as moving for you as they are for me.

No comments: